The Imperial Fire Department was established in 1924 as the Montour Valley Fire Department with the purchase of the first fire truck, a 1924 Chevolet chassis with four chemical tanks. The Department was operated under the Montour Valley Chamber of Commerce and the first meeting was held on February 17, 1925. At that time, it provided fire protection for Findlay Township as well as surrounding communities.
The equipment was stored in a rented garage until the first fire house was built in 1931. This original fire house was on Main Street, across from the Valley Presbyterian Church, with most of the labor provided by the members.
The fire department was renamed to the Imperial Volunteer Fire Department in March, 1936, and a revised charter was received in 1937.
The Sauers bus garage on Main Street in Imperial was purchased in 1954, and renovation by the membership began in 1956. The original brick facade and floor of the fallen bus garage were reused as part of the new fire station. More than $11,400 was spent on material and all the labor was donated by the members. Construction was completed in 1959.
The first ambulance service, operated by volunteers, was started in 1958.
In 1966, a parcel of land was purchased on Matchett Road in Clinton, to house equipment to better serve this area. The building was completed in late 1967 at a cost of $17,000, with much of the labor contributed by the membership.
An additional parcel of land was purchased adjacent to the existing Imperial property in 1972. A new addition to the fire house was built to make room for the modern, larger fire equipment of the time, and to accommodate the larger Bingo crowds.
Due to the development of the RIDC Business Park, a station was erected in 1981 on a parcel of land under a 99 year lease agreement with the Allegheny County Airport Authority at the edge of the Westbury community at a cost of $100,000. The members completed the construction of the building by installing the plumbing, heating and electrical. The garage was first occupied by a 1980 Ford Pierce Engine.
In January, 2014, construction begin on a new main station on Pine Street in Imperial to accommodate the larger more modern fire equipment. The new building included 4 large engine bays, offices and a training room. Operations were moved into this building in late 2014.
Today, the Fire Department operates four engines, three squads, two brush trucks, a 105' ladder truck, and a 6x6 UTV to serve and protect the Findlay Township Community.
The Imperial Volunteer Fire Department is always looking for individuals who are willing to lend some time in many capacities. You don't have to fight fires to help out!